How to Adjust Spark Plug Gap Without Tool
Introduction Adjusting the spark plug gap is an essential part of maintaining your car’s engine. A proper gap ensures that your engine runs smoothly and efficiently. However, not everyone has access to a feeler gauge, which is typically used to measure the gap. In this guide, we’ll show you how to adjust spark plug gap without tool using a simple DIY method.
Reasons to adjust spark plug gap There are several reasons why you may need to adjust the spark plug gap, including:
- Poor engine performance
- Difficulty starting the engine
- Reduced fuel efficiency
- Rough idling or stalling
- Misfires or backfires
Materials needed To adjust the spark plug gap without tool, you’ll need:
- Spark plug socket
- Socket wrench
- Flathead screwdriver
- A Coin
Steps to follow Follow these steps to adjust spark plug gap without tool:
- Remove the spark plug Using the spark plug socket and socket wrench, remove the spark plug from the engine.
- Inspect the gap Take a look at the electrode and the ground strap at the end of the spark plug. If the gap is too wide or too narrow, you’ll need to adjust it.
- Adjust the gap Using the flathead screwdriver, carefully bend the ground strap to increase or decrease the gap. Make sure to adjust the gap evenly on both sides.
- To use a coin as a gapper, ensure that it fits within the recommended specification. Carefully slide the coin into the spark plug gap and check if the gap measurement matches the spark plug gap setting.
- Reinstall the spark plug Once you’ve adjusted the gap, carefully reinstall the spark plug into the engine using the spark plug socket and socket wrench.
Conclusion: Adjusting spark plug gap without tool is a simple DIY process that can save you time and money on car maintenance. By following these steps, you’ll ensure that your engine runs smoothly and efficiently. Remember to check and adjust the spark plug gap regularly to maintain your car’s performance. Spark plug should also be changed if they are worn out so that your car runs in optimal state, and giving the best fuel efficiency.
You may also like to read. Click Here.
Check out Wikipedia for more info about working of Spark Plugs. Click Here.